Parents have all experienced the reticence associated with dental care. Our kids do not want to brush their teeth. “It’s boring,” they tell us. Or, “It’s no fun,” they squeal. Yet, proper oral hygiene is essential to good health. This is why you should learn about teaching your kids about dental care. In this piece, we will show you why good oral care is essential to whole body health, and then we’ll give you some ideas to make dental care fun.
The Importance of Taking Care of Your Teeth
Kids don’t necessarily want to hear why you think they should brush their teeth regularly. They would much rather play video games, or spend inordinate amounts of time playing in the bathtub. Anything besides having to scrub those pearly whites to keep them thus. So, perhaps it would help if you were able to share with them the effects of bad oral health. The issues on this list are significant, and might be useful in illuminating why our teeth are so important:
- Memory loss– Teeth help signal the hippocampus, a significant contributor to memory. So, the more teeth you have when you are older, the better your memory will likely be.
- Heart disease– Coronary artery disease can be linked to gum disease and since that is a main contributor to heart disease, it is obvious how people are making the connection.
- Alzheimer’s disease– It is possible that brain inflammation is linked to the gums. A study linked gum disease to the dangers of cognitive dysfunction, which is also related to Alzheimer’s disease. Learn more.
- Heart attack– The link to heart attack and mouth plaque is still being investigated, but it is worth considering.
- Stomach ulcers– H. pylori can build up in the mouth. These little nasties can enter the stomach and create peptic ulcers.
- Exacerbated lung disease– Infected gums can allow that bacteria to get transported to your lungs whenever you undergo medical treatment requiring intubation.
- Worsened Rheumatoid Arthritis– The infections that cause inflammation in the gums can also trigger the symptoms caused by rheumatoid arthritis. When oral care is improved, many people report relief from their arthritic symptomology.
- Erectile dysfunction– You probably won’t want to share this one with your kids, but it’s a heads up for you and your spouse!
- Worsened diabetes– Severe gum disease could cause increases in blood sugar. And, the infections caused therein, are particularly problematic for people dealing with an already suppressed immune system, like those with diabetes. Read more.
- Increased risk of cancer– Cancer caused deaths have actually been linked to high levels of plaque and bacteria in the mouth. In fact, large amounts of bacteria on your teeth can increase your chances of death by oral cancer up to 80%. And, inflammation of the gums is a contributor to 20% of cancer deaths!
Making Oral Care Fun
Now that you have taught your kids the import of taking care of their teeth it is time for you to locate the right Overland Park dentists. You will want a group that will provide the starting point for a healthy smile. And, you will want to ensure that they are invested in you and your family from the beginning. The truth is, you can’t make dental care fun if you don’t get the right dentist.
Once that is accomplished, you can try these fun experiments with your kids:
- Acid and Your Teeth
- Taste Buds
- Sugar Intake
- Fluoride’s Value
- Flossing Required
- Fake Mouth
Full explanations can be found here.…